Thursday, October 20, 2016

Product: Peak Fresh Produce Bags

(Image credit Ben Seese, Creative Commons on Flickr)



I struggle with buying the right amount of produce. I’m only cooking for T and me, and I want a lot of variety of flavors. Or I’ll buy limes just for the zest (cilantro lime rice – yum!), and want to get to the fruit later (hello, Moscow Mule). If I buy even a few different vegetables, half of them are spoiling by the end of the week.

Enter our hero, my mom, who introduced me to these miracle bags! I’ve been using them for a few months now, and they really do extend the life of my produce by 2-3x.


Cost: Under $1 a bag.
Savings: For me, about $10/week.

How they work: Peak Fresh is a “Modified Atmosphere Packaging”. Essentially, it removes ethylene and excess humidity from around the fruit and vegetables that cause them to age.

The best news? These bags are reusable. Simply wash them out and store the next lemon, pepper, or tomato in them. Therefore, this 10/pack of bags will last me the better part of a year.

Buy directly from them. Or, I’ve also seen them available through sites like Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment