Sunday, October 9, 2016

Halloween is just around the corner!

I've always loved Halloween. Between all the theater I did in my younger years, followed by several projects as a body painter, I enjoy the one time a year it's acceptable to dress all wacky and possibly do some wild face painting. :)

Now, if you're anything like my group of friends, you only wear a costume once, looking forward to creating something new each year. Before you know it, you have a closet full of practically new costumes just taking up space.

So last year, in a burst of "I want to be able to use this closet again," I gathered up all the costumes I didn't envision re-purposing. (I kept the fairy wings, because seriously, what photographer and painter doesn't need a set of those handy?) Then, came the swap party.

There are only a couple guidelines for a swap: each of your guests should bring any pieces they are willing to part with. All pieces go onto the table and you can either do a free-for-all or take turns selecting items you want to bring home with you. Any leftovers get donated to the local thrift shop.

(The whole swap idea came from a dear friend Stacy, who has arranged swaps for regular clothes. She donates the remaining clothes to Dress For Success.)

Results: I scored this amazing chicken hat and beak. My friends each brought home 1 or 2 items, and we donated a large grocery sack of items. And most importantly, I re-gained a closet. :)


Savings: about $20
Funny time with friends: Priceless




No comments:

Post a Comment