Thursday, August 27, 2020

Reduce, Reuse, Rent

With my frequent posts about thrifting, I haven't talked recently about how much love rental

Rental lets me try all sorts of new styles without adding to my closet. This has entirely curbed my boredom and impulse shopping, because I know I'll get to try something new in a couple weeks. Likewise, I hope it curbs others from fast fashion. 

How it works is: they sent you a package, you wear the clothes as long as you want, you return them (unwashed!), they wash them and send them out to the next recipient. So instead of me buying a blouse that I'll wear just a few times, and eventually donating it a few years later, and several other women doing the same, we all "share" one blouse. When the item starts showing wear and tear? They donate it to a thrift shop! What if I love the item? I can buy it at a discount.

I'm loving my outfit today. Both the floral ruffled blouse and the floral enamel earrings are rented and were in my box this week.


I paired my rental top half with some pinstripe pants I thrifted from Goodwill last year, and hand-me-down sandals from my aunt and fashion twin. 



Now, while renting reduces the waste from buying new clothes, it isn't waste free. Each package comes in a box, and with a plastic mailer to return the laundry. Fortunately, the boxes are very easy to handle. Try your local Buy Nothing or other local giveaway group. Through mine, I noticed my neighbor expressed interest every time I posted small boxes. Finally, my curiosity got the better of me, I inquired, and it turns out he runs a small Ebay business. Now I have a regular relationship with someone who takes all my rental boxes and bubble mailers. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment