Monday, January 20, 2020

New Year, New Clothes

A couple weeks ago, my friend Mariko messaged me to plan a thrifting date, and I jumped at the opportunity. I never need an excuse to go shopping, but I knew going with someone else would lead to some different shops, and I was excited to see if fresh eyes would lead to some fun finds.

Where I tend to focus more on budget basics, Mariko has a passion for vintage. In fact, she is a collector of vintage Pyrex, classic cookbooks, older editions of Agatha Christie novels, and collectibles. Those she is willing to part with, she'll bring to markets like the SoDo Flea Market, or post on her Etsy shop.

So, adding a couple vintage shops to my usual haunts, Mariko and I headed out, and powered through 5 stores in 2 hours! Capitol Hill has *many* shops, and you could easily make a full day out of it. We hit: Lifelong Thrift (donated/thrift), Crossroads Trading (consignment), Revival Shop (vintage and boutique), Goodwill (donated/thrift), and Pretty Parlor (vintage and boutique).

Right away, I found success: these Calvin Klein skinny boyfriend jeans fit like a glove and were in great condition at Crossroads Training.


They were on half-off special, so I took them home for $12. Compare at $70 new.


Next stop, I found this great skirt at Lifelong Thrift. With a gauzy outer layer, it was perfect for a night out on the town. (I wore it to the theatre this Saturday, and my friend Jeni exclaimed, "It's like an adult tutu!")


A lucky find, this skirt was new with tags, costing $136 retail, and I scored it for just $7.


I'm sad to say I missed capturing the best moment of the day: Mariko didn't go empty-handed. She took home a comfy and colorful vintage muumuu in varying shades of blues and purples from Revival Shop.

At the end of the day, I spend $19 and saved $187 (90%), all while having eco-friendly fun with a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment