Saturday, September 17, 2022

Making the Most of Mylar

My parents got me this epically large balloon for my milestone birthday last year. You know it's epically large because this is a normal sized coffee table it's laying on, with normal sized balloon weights seen in the bottom, and that it stayed floating for over 9 months.

What I see now is... that's a whole lotta festive mylar. And with several family birthdays throughout the year, it was inevitable it was going to become wrapping paper.

First step: separate the front and back of the balloon. I simply cut off the neck of the balloon, inserted the point of my scissors into the opening, and cut along the seam. 

Now I'm left with 2 large round sheets. Set your package in the middle and wrap as normal. If you prefer, you can trim to make square sheets, trim to size, or to center your package on the best part of the design.

This balloon was large enough to wrap 2 hard cover books individually, and a medium box. 

Finish your package with a bow. If you are a planner like me, you've collected all the ribbons and bows from previous gift exchanges, and have a small stash in assorted colors for re-use. 


Last, but not least, go to your celebration and have fun!

With gift bags costing $3+, and being the "throwaway" part of the gift, reusing materials is a great way to save and put your funds into the gift itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment