Saturday, May 14, 2022

Eating Scrappy: Broccoli Stems

If you're like me, you likely eat just the florets from broccoli, using this most desirable part in your stir fries, veggie trays, and pasta primaveras. This leaves behind a good percentage of the broccoli, the stem. 

I've tried chopping up the stems to add to dishes, but without luck so far, as the stems can be quite woody, sort of like the ends of asparagus. 

When I came across a recipe literally called Broccoli Stalk Soup, I decided to give it one more try.

The first step is to prepare your stems, chopping off the very end, and peeling off the outer layer. A regular veggie peeler will do. Note: I wasn't aggressive enough with my peeling and still ended up with some woodiness. Go a little further than you think you need to, cutting off at least the outer 1/8".

Next, follow the recipe, sauteeing some onion and garlic in butter or oil (this whole recipe can be vegan if you prefer), then adding the broccoli, some potato, and broth to simmer.

Finally, use an immersion blender to puree all the ingredients. My soup was quite hearty (more of a porridge), so I added 25% more broth. 

This soup has great flavor and an unexpected creaminess (with no actual cream), which comes from the potato. And it's quite light,  so feel free to add to it as you like. Add in some broccoli florets if you have whole broccoli, and some medium or sharp cheddar for a rich, cheesy soup. 

Now, I noted above that I wasn't aggressive enough with my peeling. If this happens to you and you taste your soup and get little woody bits (no one wants to chew on pine needles), never fear. Strain your soup through a mesh strainer.

Woody bits successfully strained, and silky smooth soup rescued!

What are ways you've found to maximize you use of veggies?

No comments:

Post a Comment