Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Cash for Costumes

As you've seen by now from previous years' posts, I love a good Halloween costume, and I enjoy trying something new each year. The average pre-packaged costume costs about $60, is poorly constructed, uncomfortably polyester, and comes in difficult sizes like S/M. From swapping (that time I was a chicken) to thrifting (Eleven) to DIY (Ursula), you can enjoy some really creative looks that are more tailored to you and more original.

This year, my friend Anna inspired me to be a rock lobster, of the B-52s song. Due to the "unique" needs of the costume, I was able to purchase some items used while some were new.

I was pretty happy with the end result:


Ideally, I would purchase used, wear it, and then re-donate it or sell it, meaning the item gets maximum usage from people before and after me. I write frequently about how buying used saves me money up front, but I haven't talked about how much you can recoup from selling items.

Just a few days after Halloween, I've already sold 2 pieces of my costume, made back $25, and I'm not done yet! I highly recommend giving this a try, especially for those pieces you don't envision re-purposing for other costumes. I sold these on Facebook marketplace. Other online choices include Poshmark, thredUP, and Swap.com, and of course, there are local brick and mortar shops. Each varies in model: some you can sell your items directly to the store, while others will pay you when the item sells, while others you do the work of selling and they simply give you a place to list. The amount to be made is directly proportional to the effort you put in; that is, the more work the store does, the higher their commission.

Here are some of the key pieces of my costume:

1. Fierce rocker boots. Retails for $36 new, purchased for $22 used, resold for $15. Total cost $7/savings $29.

2. Shredded pleather leggings. Cost $20 new, resold for $10. Total cost $10/savings $10. 

3. Calvin Klein silver leather jacket. This one is a keeper! Retail cost $160, bought used for $34, savings $126.

Total savings: $165. $140 from purchasing used, and $25 recouped from resale.

While I love selling for costumes, which are typically more "disposable" than other types of clothing, don't limit yourself. Selling is a great option for any items that still have life in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment