Sunday, August 19, 2018

Ham, and Brussel Sprouts, and Butterball, and Limes!

What do these things all have in common? They've all entered my home in nylon mesh bags.


These are not recyclable in some municipalities, but there are many ideas online for how to reuse these. The most direct reuse with no crafting skills needed at all is: Bring them back to the store and use them again as bags for your loose produce! 

But, if you want to get into crafting or upcycling, the most common idea I've seen is to form them into kitchen scrubbies. The patterns go from extremely easy to advanced: some are no-sew, some involve sewing, some involve crocheting. Depending on your skill and desire for pretty kitchen accessories will help you choose your method. My priority was EASY. :) 

I worked off of this tutorial. Laurie's scrubbie came out a bit more attractive than mine due to having bags of the same size and color.

First step: prep your bags by trimming off any tags and hardware.


Next, tie one end shut, and then flip the bag inside out so the knot is on the inside. 




Roll up and stuff a few other bags inside the first one. Once you have the desired size, tie a knot at the top of your first bag. Laurie left her top knot visible - I finished mine by sewing the "tail" flat, leaving me with just a ball. I also switched mid project from purple, to green and yellow, just because I didn't have enough purple and green yellow was the most attractive color combo I had available. Totally your choice if you are thinking of aesthetics, or pure functionality!


Last step: test out your new scrubbie at your next meal!


Postponed: 4 nylon bags into the landfill.
Saved: about $1

No comments:

Post a Comment