Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Goodbye Goo

I'm constantly bookmarking cool tips and tricks online, and eventually I get around to trying some of them. This video was intriguing, because it's a simple recipe with just 2 ingredients, and for something I could actually use: Goo Remover! This is supposed to remove challenging sticky or waxy messes:

 

Looks pretty easy, right? Well, I wanted to see for myself if it worked or was just movie magic.  Here are my items that need some label removal. The two little glass jars are pretty clean with just a little residue. The smaller plastic jar still has the majority of it's label stuck on, and the pump bottle had the label peeled off, but was almost entirely covered in label glue on both front and back.


I mixed up some of the Goo Remover (equal parts vegetable oil and baking soda), and slathered on a thick layer on each gooey surface...


... and waited. The two smaller glass jars cleaned up quite easily after about 1 minute. The plastic jar and plastic pump bottle tool a little more effort. I left the goop on for about 2 minutes, scrubbed at the labels a bit, and then added more goop for about 2 more minutes. While the residue on plastic was a bit more stubborn, the remover still did the trick!

A quick wash later (you need a little bit of dish soap to get the oil off), and I have clean, un-sticky containers for reuse.


Comparing to "Goo Gone", which goes for $7.50 for an 8 oz bottle, this mixture costs about $0.60 for the same amount. And... this mix doesn't carry a "harmful or fatal if swallowed" warning. Win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment