Sunday, March 18, 2018

Head to Toe, Fully Committed

Last year, I half-jokingly made a statement that I'd like my wardrobe to consist of only second-hand clothing or clothing made from recycled or upcycled materials. Half-jokingly, because it seemed pretty far away, or like a ton of work to do that much thrifting.

Then, this weekend, I looked down and realized I was pretty much living that goal. My shoes, top, jeans, and jewelry all have a re-use source.


The jeans were one of five pairs I acquired from a recent swap.com purchase. I spent $38.50 at Swap, but these jeans would have totaled $318.50 new, an 88% savings!!


This top is so comfy for spring. It would have cost $39 new and I got it for free from Buy Nothing.


These flats cost $7 at Goodwill, and retail for $59. 


And finally, I'm trying out a subscription rental company for clothes and jewelry (Le Tote), which is responsible for these awesome Rebecca Minkoff earrings and Kate Spade necklace. I'm on the fence about the environmental impact of Le Tote, but here's what I've learned so far. Le Tote is like the Netflix disc model: you pay a monthly fee to get one shipment at a time. When you're done, you send it back and the next shipment comes. You can get as many boxes a month as you can use. Since you are renting the clothes, they will be gently used, and Le Tote takes care of the laundry. Where I think this could make a positive impact is for people who like to try new styles and trends frequently. This clothes sharing model means more people get to wear the clothes "just a few times" and when they don't fit the like-new criteria anymore, Le Tote donates them. If you decide you want to keep a piece, you can purchase it at a discount - it's like thrift shopping with a personal shopper!

Overall savings: $371.





No comments:

Post a Comment