Tuesday, June 20, 2017

WE HAVE BABIES! (Potatoes, that is.)

I started my early adulthood thinking I had a black thumb. All of my plants never lasted more than a few months. Then I realized I was always buying annuals. :)

A few years ago, I bought a cherry tomato starter plant at the Vashon Island farmer's market, and it grew rapidly taller, and grew beautiful little super sweet cherry tomatoes (in fact, the type was "Sweet Million"), and it renewed my faith that I might be able to not kill a plant.

Fast forward to this year, and I'm still not an amazing gardener, but after finding some sprouted potatoes in my pantry, I decided to try my hand at growing potatoes.

First, I found a YouTube video to give me some basic pointers, and I put the sprouted potatoes in some planters. The smaller planter ended up in my windowsill and sprouted quickly with lush green leaves. The larger planter had to stay outside and got a little slower start due to the cold.

Last month, the Seattle area finally started thinking about having Spring/Summer, and it was time to transplant the planters into the garden, because I didn't feel like my planters were quite large enough.

Well, the plants that started outdoors are still growing, and the leaves look green and healthy. The plants that started indoors didn't transplant as well. The leaves started yellowing, then wilting, and then dying altogether. YouTube tells me this means the potatoes are "done", but I was pretty sure this was a failed batch, since the plants died so quickly after transplant.

Tonight, I decided to play in the dirt to see if there was anything there, and lo and behold - I found over a dozen baby potatoes!!


Here's another shot with my hand for scale. Some are like small marbles, while others are almost new potato sized. Keep in mind that the parents(?) were regular russets, so even the larger ones are pretty small. I cooked one up and sure enough, it tastes like a potato. I can only imagine that the other plant, which will have more growing time, will result in larger more flavorful potatoes.


Overall, I'm pretty excited that I successfully grew something new, with very little effort. As you can see, I had no controls in place - some were started inside, some were started outside, I transplanted halfway through because I didn't have large enough containers. I watered them when I remembered to, but took a lot of short vacations and weekends away... Seattle has been temperamental weather wise, and ultimately, there have been few sunny days. Seems that potatoes are pretty easygoing. If I can do it, anyone can!

No comments:

Post a Comment