Friday, June 16, 2017

It's Alive!

Hi lovelies,

So I've been pretty busy adulting the last few weeks: stretched thin at work, buying new carpet for our house, etc. What this means is that I neglected some basil that I had bought for meal prep.

I was reading some tips about keeping ypur cut herbs longer, and the tip for basil was to put it in a cup of water in the windowsill vs. keeping it in your fridge. So there it was in the windowsill, in a cup of water, for a couple weeks. Every odd once in a while, I'd top off the water, but I never did get around to my recipe.

I kindof assumed it would just die and go to waste, but to my surprise, I checked on it today, and IT HAD GROWN ROOTS!

Now, mind you, this was not one of those fancy "living herbs" with the rootball still intact. No, this was just plain cut basil. Who knew that it could regrow roots from essentially, a leaf? Is this the earthworm of plants, that can regenerate after being cut in half?


So, after the surprise wore off, I decided to plant my new basil plant in dirt, and enjoy my accidental herb garden. Check out that growth on the top couple inches - it looks like I'll have many more basil leaves to come.

I rarely buy fresh herbs, in part because of how expensive they are and I rarely need the whole package during its normal shelf life. Now that I have a plant that I can trim leaves as I need them, I'll be enjoying fresh herbs more often and saving about $4 per recipe.  Cheers to a happy discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment