Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Upcycle: t-shirt rope toy for dogs

I started creating t-shirt rope toys for my dog a couple years ago. For one, as my t-shirts get holey or stained, I only need so many painting or yard work clothes. Second, my Labrador retriever, Meeko, can chew through toys as fast as we can buy them. The good news? Turning t-shirts into rope toys takes just a few minutes and is free!

All you need:
  • an old t-shirt (or 2 or 3 if you want to mix colors)
  • a good pair of scissors

From the bottom hem of the t-shirt, cut strips about 2" wide. You can end up with any number of strips but aim for multiples of 3. For this toy, I cut 9 strips. When you count both the front and back of the t-shirt, this will mean, 18 layers of cotton total.


Line up all the strips on top of each other, and tie one end into a knot.



Divide the strips into 3 sections. In this case, it's 3 strips each. I hold the knot between my knees to hold it still. Then proceed with a simple braid. I keep pulling the braid tight as I go. Since the t-shirt material is stretchy, I want the braid as tight as possible for extra durability.



When you get to the end, tie a knot in the other end.


You're all done! You now have a surprisingly durable toy for your dog to chew on, or for you to play tug-of-war with together. Because it's just strips of t-shirt, it's easily washed.

Savings: about $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment