Thursday, April 6, 2023

How Do You Stack Up?

Are any of you competitive? I don't typically think I am, but I have to admit that I like receiving my electric bill, which comes along with a statement about where I am relative to the "efficiency zone" and how I compare to homes like mine in my area. It's like an adult version of a "Good job!" sticker on your homework. :)

So I was thrilled to find out today that thredUP has launched a new Fashion Footprint calculator. You can walk though your clothing purchasing habits, such as how often you shop in person or online, how often you make returns, how you dispose of your clothes, and more. And you get a great summary to let you know how you're doing:

In the green? Pat yourself on the back! They also estimate how much your habits cost annually, so you can know just how important your contributions are.

If you would like to be doing better than you are (or just be an over-achiever), they then show the most impactful actions you can take. By far the most valuable thing you can do is source your clothing second-hand - just keep items in circulation longer.


As you go through the survey, they share tips and facts related to each of the questions. And they wrap up with "12 Ways to Transform Your Sustainable Fashion Journey". Perhaps my favorite is to install the Good On You app, a resource for when you purchase new clothing, which scores brands for responsible (good to people, animals, and planet) fashion. This saves you from having to sift through green-washing or deeply research the items you purchase. 

I'm loving this new resource, and the opportunity to compete, even if just with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment