Sunday, January 16, 2022

Conscious Coordinates

If you're like me, you probably look at your over-stuffed closet frequently and feel like you have nothing to wear. I feel this way most often when I go to dress up, whether it's an celebratory dinner or a night at the theatre. And then I wonder, how is it possible I can't find anything I want to wear, when I've bought some amazing pieces? 

Well, there was my answer: I had bought some amazing pieces, but couldn't complete the outfit. Most notably, I have acquired several tea length or midi skirts over the years, but it turns out the length and shape of tops that I wear most days with pants or jeans don't compliment the skirts well. On the average day, I go for looser tunics that hit at the hip. With the shape of the skirts I'm wearing, I need a more tailored top that hits closer to the waist, in order to not look frumpy or make me looker shorter than I already am. 

With that realization, I could intentionally shop for pieces that would pair with those skirts and leave me with complete outfits.

First win, this Zara short sleeve black sweater, which is so soft, I feel like I'm wearing pajamas. 

 
I love the added gold button detail on the back, a minor detail, but adds a touch of dressiness. 

This Zara sweater was $10.99 at Goodwill (in like-new condition) but would cost $29.90 at Zara.

Next up, this embellished Adrienne Vittadini blouse.

The quilted pattern and bust darts create a lot of structure that really makes this blouse stand out from most of the comfort clothing (read "t-shirts") I can get away with working in tech. 


And I *love* the bejeweled neckline that eliminates the need for jewelry. 

This Adrienne Vittadini blouse cost $9.99 at Goodwill, while the average Adrienne Vittadini top goes for $48.00 at Macy's.

Between both of these blouses. I saved $47.92 (69.6%), and also enabled myself to get some use out of these skirts I love, but which were collecting dust. 

So first step if you are stuck with "nothing to wear" is do an audit. Do you have items you never wear? Do you dislike them for some reason? If so, move them to the donate or alter pile. Do you like them? If so, what's holding you back? Do you need something to complete the outfit, eg. the right height of shoes, or a sweater to pair with a sleeveless top? If so, prioritize your next purchases!



No comments:

Post a Comment