Thursday, September 23, 2021

(TP) Cores for Curtains

I'm always amazed at the creative ideas you can find for reuse. And when you're feeling blocked, just look to community groups for inspiration. 

Since trying to reduce my waste, when I can't prevent it from entering my home, I've started saving more and more categories of materials for reuse. This includes the cardboard tubes that serve as cores for your TP. While I've reduced some, courtesy of a bidet in one bathroom, I still managed to collect a few dozen throughout the last year or so. (Especially with going out less - thanks, COVID!) 

And despite a few craft projects of my own:

Cat Scratcher

Snowflake and Poinsettia decorations

they were still piling up.

Fortunately, on one of my local groups, someone put out a request for TP rolls! Curious what they were going to do with "at least a dozen", they came back with two responses 

Curtain spacers. If you have this style of curtains, you can slide a roll over the curtain rod between the grommets. This leaves a nice even spacing between the folds of the curtain, rather than leaving them bunched up to one side, and the roll is fully concealed behind the curtain. How clever! I don't have this style of curtains, so it was awesome to hear an idea from someone else who had it as a tried and true solution. 

Fire starters. Do you have a wood burning fireplace or firepit? Stuff a roll with some dryer lint or a little paper recycling, and you have a little perfect bundle to light under your logs. Some folks recommend adding a little leftover candle wax too.

Ultimate lesson here: there's indefinite ways to reuse these, and sometimes your trash is someone else's treasure. And you may just pick up some new tricks from a neighbor. 



No comments:

Post a Comment