Monday, July 26, 2021

Eco-Friendly Exercising

So this story starts with a fencing project. We had a couple sections of fence that were rotting and about to topple over. T started the project, demoing the wood panels with our neighbor. I come to check on the progress, and T says: "Well we got the wood down. Now time to dig up those cement plugs that were holding the posts. Your turn."

Whaaa? Well, challenge accepted. I start digging, and lift out one of the 50lb cement blocks. I'm feeling pretty She-Hulk about the whole thing, like look at me LIFT!  The good news is I know to lift with my legs and didn't hurt my back. The bad news is I don't do a lot of weight-bearing exercise, and the next day my thighs were 100% in pain (can Jello hurt?). 

(How I felt until the next day. But really this is an awesome collector figurine from Kotobikuya.)

Now it's in my head that I should probably start doing some weight bearing squats, and all I have at home is 3lb dumbbells. 

The great news is that as things are starting to re-open, including gyms, the thrift stores are starting to fill up with the fitness equipment that gym-goers had purchased to bring their workouts home. I've been easing my way back into the office, working 1 day/week downtown, which is conveniently 1 block from a Goodwill. I check it out for goodies during my lunch break, and have seen the supply rotate each week, and just a few weeks in, I scored: a pair of 8lb dumbbells for $6 each. 

The cheapest I'm seeing these new are $17 each. Savings for the pair is $22, and I've kept a like-new piece of equipment in circulation! With the supply-chain constraints for various products, it's an added benefit to redistribute as much existing supply as possible. 

It leads me to wonder what other at-home hobbies we'll start to see flood the thrift stores and garage sales: puzzles, games, craft supplies?




No comments:

Post a Comment