Saturday, January 16, 2021

Fabric Napkins: Not Just for Fancy Friday

I guess there's no time like quarantine to start spring cleaning early. I got an itch to organize my linen closet on Friday night (wild party!) and came across some cloth napkins I bought years ago. I'd forgotten about them, as I don't often entertain outside of Thanksgiving. 

It reminded me of all the "nice" things I save for a nice day, like that good bottle of truffle oil, only to realize it's gone bad by the time I deem an occasion special enough. So why save the fabric napkins and waste paper napkins? Put em on the table. Done! Keep them in a convenient drawer nearby or cute basket on the table, so that they are convenient to use.When they're dirty, put in the regular wash with your clothes. 

I highly recommend getting napkins with a print on them. They won't show oily stains like plain colored (I'm looking at you, ranch dressing!).

Do you only have holiday napkins? Both new and second hand cloth napkins are super easy find. There are tons at the usual thrift stores, but also don't forget antique stores. Still avoiding stores due to COVID? Here are a just couple options:

Ebay - you may have forgotten about them as the 1990's virtual garage sale, but they are still around and bigger than ever. Just select condition "pre-owned" for your search and you'll come across some amazing finds including vintage designer options.

For example, this lot of 8 vintage Vera napkins for $31.

Or this set of 4 vintage retro napkins plus rings for $31.

I love this set of 6 floral napkins for $14.

Go for a global look with this set of 8 batik napkins for $17.


And don't forget Etsy, which is great for both new handmade as well as vintage. I'm in love with these awesome, vibrant owls from Clear Sky Home, set of 4 for $22.

This is one of those super easy swaps, that takes a small investment up front, but easily pays for itself over the course of a year.




No comments:

Post a Comment