Thursday, December 24, 2020

Twelve Days of Conscious Christmas: Day 10, Swap to Non-dairy Alternatives

I am not one to preach, because I LOVE me some dairy, in any form: cream cheese, sour cream, etc. But, did you know that dairy milk produces 3x the greenhouse gas emissions compared to plant-based?

I'll be honest: I tried making some oat milk to replace my coffee creamer (both dairy-based and the #1 source of plastic containers in our house), and it didn't work as well as I hoped. The milk tasted fine on its own, but I couldn't help but feeling like I was putting the leftover milk from cereal in my coffee.

Therefore, baked goods will be my next foray as a good way to ease in to alternative milks. While each alternative milk has its pros and cons, I'm interested in oat because: 

  1. It's sooo easy to make at home and not purchase in a tetra-pak, which has limited recycling options. 
  2. This baker on Epicurious did a comparison test, and determined that oat milk was a great option due to its similar texture to dairy milk and flavor that compliments baked goods.

Here's the super easy oat milk recipe I tried, recommended by an acquaintance:

  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of sea salt

Blend for about 30 seconds and then strain. Super easy!

I strained in these nut milk bags ($7.95 for 2-pack, washable and reusable). My friend used yogurt strainer. Any very fine mesh should do.

Strain into a container to store in your fridge for several days. It does separate, so you will need to shake before use.


There are tons of tips you can find online, for example, make sure to use cold water, rolled oats not quick oats, and don't over-blend. But this was by far an easy recipe for a novice. 

At an average $4 for 32 oz of packaged oat milk, you can save quite a bit by making it at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment