Monday, November 2, 2020

Another DIY Halloween

Another Halloween, another round of thrifting and/or DIY'ing (from second-hand materials!) my costume. Even with COVID this year, I figured there would be an opportunity for some festivity, and Halloween did not disappoint! For work, I was able to dress up for a virtual happy hour with one group of colleagues, and a virtual team trivia event for another. And for the weekend, Tatiana and I swapped our usual late night people-watching for an outdoor coffee.

In August, I teased you with this arrival from Poshmark. 

And in September, I hinted at more to come, with Toby guarding this stash of second hand fabric, I acquired from Value Village. 


Straight to the punchline, I went as the famous palindrome meme: Tacocat! Pairing a super cozy kitty onesie with a DIY taco cover, this costume is warm enough for a chilly northwest October.
 

Now the how-to: Starting with a pair of red place mats, I painted some details with acrylic paint and fabric medium, then cut out the desired half-circle shape to create a couple slices of tomato.

This pic shows a few steps: I cut the yellow felt into a large enough circle to wrap around me, creating the taco shell, and sponge painted some brown and lighter yellow spots, for a toasted corn tortilla texture. I cut a smaller circle out of the top center, creating a arm hole. Next, to create the "lettuce", I sewed the ruffled border of a green tablecloth around the perimeter. A loop of lettuce creates a shoulder strap for my other shoulder. Pictured here are some adhesives and velcro strips; the velcro was great for fitting the costume, but ultimately not strong enough for a costume I wanted to be able to sit and stand in. I replaced the velcro strips with ribbons.

Next, secure the tomato slices to one side of the taco shell, sewing the slices right behind the lettuce.

Use velcro or ribbons to fasten the other side of the tomatoes to the other side of the shell.


Put the final look together, and... tacocat! First pic is me in costume, followed by the a version of the meme. Nailed it!

Not only is it a ton of fun to put these costumes together, but it also saves $$$ and new materials from one-time use. This pre-fab taco costume was found at Target for $30, while the second-hand fabrics were just $8 at Value Village. The cat onesie ran $25 new at Target last year, and cost $9 like new at Poshmark.


 

Total cost: $17

Compare at: $55 new

And, did I mention the cat onesie has pockets? It may become my winter go-to outfit!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment