Sunday, August 4, 2019

SIY (Start It Yourself) Succulents

I saw a short video the other day on "clever plant hacks", and today am testing one of them for myself.

The idea is that you can propagate many new succulent plants from:
  • the leaves of an existing plant 
  • a plastic bottle
Step 1: pull several of the leaves off a succulent.

Step 2: take a plastic bottle (I'm using an orange juice jug) and cut several small holes up and down the sides of it, stopping at least 2" from the bottom. 

Step 3: pour 2" water in the bottom and screw the lid back on.


Step 4: insert the cut side of a succulent leaf into each of the holes.


Put into your window, and hopefully in a few weeks, you'll have roots on each leaf, resulting in about a dozen new little succulents!

I'll post again in a few weeks - if succussful, I will have:
  • saved $4 per plant
  • saved a small plastic pot per plant
  • reused a plastic jug
Happy propagating!

No comments:

Post a Comment