Thursday, February 22, 2018

Why That's a Fancy Greyhound You Got There!

I'm headed down to Portland for a quick overnight to see one of my dear friends for her birthday. It's a quick drive, just under 3 hours, but when I'm taking a vacation day, I'd rather sit down with a good book than sit behind the wheel. Enter Bolt Bus.


Bolt Bus is a premium class of Greyhound with extra legroom, free wi-fi, cupholders, and outlets at every seat. This makes it fantastic for relaxing or working on your trip.


It's also variable cost, depending on the popularity of the travel time. While I haven't seen many trips at the advertised "as low as $1", I also haven't seen prices much more than $30. This trip for me will be $42 round trip, about half the cost of the comparable trip on Amtrak.

Compared to gas: I live 162 miles from Allison. Round trip that's 324. My car gets 34 mpg, so 9.6 gallons of gas. The average price of gas in my area currently is $3.29 right now, totaling $31.58 in gas.

Alternatively, if we look at the standard mileage deduction rate that incorporates wear and tear on your vehicle, we figure  $0.535/mile x 324 miles = $173.34.

Therefore, this trip saves me $131.34, saves the environment some portion of 9 gallons of gas, and gains me 6 hours of relaxation time. :)

Now, off to go read my book...


No comments:

Post a Comment