Thursday, August 22, 2019

No-sew, T-shirt Tote

This is one of my favorite t-shirts. The concert was awesome and we went with dear friends. However, I also love cooking and eating greasy foods, so after a few years of abuse, it was ready for a new life.


There are MANY tutorials for making no-sew t-shirt totes, and I wanted to give it a try. I used this one as an example, if you prefer video tutorials. All you need for the project is a pair of scissors.

First step, cut off the sleeves. The arm holes will become your bag handles.


Next, cut the neck hole wider. This will become the opening of your bag. I was careful to cut from the back of the t-shirt, because the design was printed fairly high up of the shirt. Feel free to do a deeper scoop if it doesn't mess up the pattern on your shirt.


Now, move the bottom of your shirt and cut fringe, about 1/2" strips and 3" long. Where your fringe ends will be the bottom of your bag. I didn't need that deep of a bag and wanted to trim off some of the grease stains, so I first cut off the bottom 4" of the shirt.


At this step you have a choice: I wanted my seam hidden, so I will complete this step with the shirt inside out. If you like the look of fringe, leave your shirt right side out. Tie the fringe together in knots (front of shirt to back of shirt) to close up the bottom seam.


Now. just tying front to back will leave gaps between each knot. So we will do a second row of knots, this time tying the top strip of one knot to the bottom strip of the knot next to it. This will close the gap between the two. Do a double knot on this round to make it solid.


When you are done with the knotting, flip your shirt right side out, and now your fringe is hidden in the bottom of the bag. With all those knots, this bag is surprisingly sturdy.


Voila! A free rockin' tote bag, an a second life for my fave concert tee.


No comments:

Post a Comment