Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Blame Hilary!

(Aka "When thrifting goes wrong")

Tats and I went to Goodwill tonight. Tats was making a large donation and then we treated ourselves to some shopping. It didn't disappoint, with richer than usual stock of kitschy holiday tees and Halloween leftovers. 

I decided I needed a fall jacket, after having coveted some Uniqlo lightweight down jackets last week. Lo and behold, I found a light down jacket that fit perfect for $30 (Uniqlo's were $70).

We browsed around for a little while longer, until we came across the "themed leggings" rack. Staring at us were a hundred neon Hilary Clintons!


(We were excited to see each other.)


Problem is... I set the jacket down to take these pics. I looked behind me to pick up my jacket and another woman is holding it.

Do I take her down like a lioness defending her kittens? Or a New Yorker at a sample sale? Would she fight me back and start a brawl? Or, do I awkwardly back down and clumsily ask: "Oh, are you looking at that jacket?"

I chose the latter.

Before I know it, she's putting the jacket on. And another one on top of it. And filling her bag with other clothing items. I start to gesture to one of the employees, look at this woman. She's actively shoplifting in front of us.

She catches our eyes, and bolts for the door. I shout after her, "Hey! Stop!" and look around desperately: "She's stealing those clothes!" But she takes off running.

The employees are all staring at me, mouths agape, surprised that I called out after a shoplifter. Tats said they were probably thinking "Oh, bless her soul." (Southern sarcasm intended.) They shrugged it off like this happens every night, and unfortunately, it probably does. I'm sitting here torn between "she must need it if she needs to steal it" and outraged for Goodwill  and sad for myself. "But... my jacket!!"

Keep in mind, this would have never happened if we hadn't been preoccupied with Hilary.


No comments:

Post a Comment