Friday, October 7, 2016

Baby Steps

Welcome! I'm Kimberly. Just a typical Seattle-ite, I suppose. I work for a large tech company and drink way too much Starbucks.

Like a lot of people now, I'm overwhelmed by consumerism, and the articles I read about our impact on the environment and the other species on this planet. I'm also all too aware of the impact of consumerism on our wallets - in Seattle, where housing prices have risen dramatically higher than before the 2008 crash and real estate bubble burst, being frugal is definitely a consideration if we ever want to retire.

I'm nowhere near perfect in reducing my impact on the environment, animals, or my wallet. Being a minimalist doesn't come easy for me. It's not in my genes. In fact, some rooms in my house exhibit hoarder-like tendencies, or as my husband T likes to call it "horizontal surface disorder".  I also struggle to remember my reusable mug for coffee runs and reusable shopping bags. And I frequently feel the hypocrisy of loving animals and the environment, while eating an omnivore diet.

My guess is that many people, who are busy with long work days, long commutes, and juggling many activities and commitments, won't make changes to their impact unless it's convenient and easily fits into their current routine.

In this blog, I'll show some of the small changes I'm making, starting with the three R's: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. I'll also spotlight some people and companies who are making bigger investments and are really an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment